Slightly OT: Greylisting success or failure stories?

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Fri Feb 4 18:07:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 17:45 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:

> Indeed.
>
> It wouldn't work for me though. First of all, my wife is Chinese and
> hence my server gets plenty of legitimate mail from China. Secondly, I
> myself get lots of unsolicited mail from people I've never been in
> contact with before, for a variety of reasons, and I wouldn't want to
> miss that mail. So blocking whole countries is completely out of the
> question for me.

Yup. I lived in Thailand for a few years and still have correspondents.
If it became a problem, I would have to figure out how to deal with it.
I get email from other areas that are considered problems and filter
differently.

> It really does boil down to what your needs are and what you're prepared
> to miss out on to get a spam-free inbox.

Everything is a compromise. The whole issue is entirely regrettable.
It's really a shame. I'm one who vociferously and publicly ranted about
sinister blacklists (I have since publicly apologized). I am loathe to
admit it but, at the end of the day, this is all about economic logic.
Perhaps SPF or some other technology will offer some better solutions in
the future.