SATA support?

Aad Rijnberg Aad.Rijnberg at zonnet.nl
Fri Feb 4 19:05:50 UTC 2005

Hi,

I don't know if this is the proper mailing list, but I have a small
problem. I bought a Dell Dimension 8400 which contains an Intel 925X
chipset and has a SATA harddisk, and FC3 won't see the drive. I have
(temporarily) mounted another (PATA) harddisk on the primary port of the
925X. Then installation and use of FC3 is not a problem. The drawback of
this solution is that I had to remove a DVD-ROM player to be able to
connect this harddisk.

For 2 reasons I would like to be able to access the SATA harddisk from
within FC3 in future:
1) be able to mount the Windows partition on the SATA disk so that
   information can be transferred between Linux and Windows.
2) use the DVD-ROM player again

I know about a solution where you can change the "SATA operation"
setting in the BIOS from Raid Autodetect/AHCI to Raid Autodetect/ATA,
but then Windows does not boot anymore and re-installation is needed.
Therefore I would like to wait for the Linux kernel to support the AHCI
mode of the Intel 925X.

Does the current version of the kernel already support AHCI mode of the
Intel 925X chipset? If yes, is it then by default not compiled in? What
settings are affected?
When the current kernel does not yet support it, does anybody know when
(the Fedora version of) the kernel will support AHCI of the Intel 925X
chipset?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Aad