Initialization problem with FC3 and XP

Alexsandro Soares a_s_soares at yahoo.com.br
Fri Feb 4 20:13:45 UTC 2005

Hi all,

  I´m having problems with FC 3. I'm trying use a dual
boot with Windows XP. My PC has 3 hard drives
configured
   primary master -> Windows XP (10 Gb)
   primary slave  -> Creative
   secondary master -> Windows XP (30 Gb)
   secondary slave  -> to be used by Fedora (40 Gb)

First, I try install FC3 and the bug message was
showed

Assertion (heads > 0) at disk_dos.c:485 in function
probe_partition_for_geom() failed

  So I try fix this using the rescue disk and typed in
prompt:

  sfdisk -d /dev/hdd | sfdisk --no-reread -H255
/dev/hdd

   I tryed again install FC3, and the same error
happened.
   After, I used

http://people.redhat.com/~katzj/fc3-part-upd.img

  Put it in a floppy disk with rawrite, used the FC3
disc 1, and typed in prompt:
   linux updates

  This time the error message was gone and the
installation was successful.
  I can boot using Windows XP normally. However, when
I try boot with FC3, my machine freeze up and this
message is showed

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)'

root (hd2,0)
 kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
 [linux -bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x155da5]
initrd /initrd_2.6.9-1.667.img
 [Linux-initrd @ 0x1fefe000, 0xed559 bytes]

  Is there some way to fix the dual boot?  Or, at
least, to use the FC3?

  Thanks in advance for any answer.

  Cheers,
  Alex