Sendmail permission problems

M.Clasen m.clasen at freenet.de
Fri Feb 4 22:58:19 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 04.02.2005, 15:40 +0000 schrieb Paul Howarth:
> M.Clasen wrote:
> > while sending a mail from a testmailscript, i got the error:
> >
> > Warning: mail(): Permission denied: unable to execute shell to run mail
> > delivery binary '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i'
> > in /home/rawfox/public_html/test/testmail.php on line 13
>
> The error message looks a bit more fundamental than sendmail
> permissions. It appears that the mail() function invokes a shell to run
> the sendmail command, and it's unable to run the shell judging by the
> error message.
> So it's not getting anywhere near sendmail itself. Is the
> shell (/bin/sh perhaps?) accessible to your PHP scripts? Is your web
> server running chrooted perhaps?

/bin/sh -> /bin/bash
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 605504  9. Dez 2003  /bin/bash

so bash got the standart permissions as all of my systems.

a phpinfo(); out of a php script should do a /usr/bin/php -i,
what it successfully does here, so we can say, PHP is possible to
execute programs from the filesystem.

correct me, if i`m fail ;)

ok so far, programs are not bash buidin`s, so i tried this with the
passthru(); function of php, what looks:

<?
passthru("/bin/bash --version", $out);
echo $out;
?>

this results on the problem-server with the output of         127

whatever this is (smells a bit like an IP part ?!), and
on my Homemachine(FC3) and another Server(RH9) is the correct response
as:

GNU bash, version 3.00.14(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright
(C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc. 0

I think, you give the right way and there are problems php executing
bash commands.

What can i do next ?

Michael