Activating wireless card at boot

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Feb 4 22:06:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 04:53:18PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> Once my computer is booted up, I can execute the following series of commands
> (as root):
>
> # iwlist wlan0 scan
> # iwconfig wlan0 key restricted <my-key>
> # dhclient wlan0
>
> in order to get up and running with my wireless card. I'm using a Linksys
> WPC-11b ver. 3 wireless card with ndiswrapper, and my laptop is running FC3
> kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3.
>
> No matter what I do, though, I can't seem to get this working on boot. I've
> tried creating the new wireless device in the network configuration tool,
> entering all of the proper settings in the "Wireless" tab. The computer seems
> to recognize the wireless card and reports a strong signal, but I can't see
> the SSID for my WAP and I certainly can't get an IP address from the DHCP
> server.
>
> What am I missing?

If you  have your card properly configured as wlan0 through the
system-config-network gui then ifup wlan0 should bring it up and
ifdown wlan0 bring it down.
Do you have a eth0 interface on you machine. We have found that even
if the machine is not connected with a wire the eth0 interface will be
brought up and prevent the wlan0 interface from coming up.

Now if anyone out there knows how to keep the eth0 interface from
coming up on boot even when there is no line plugged into it I would
like to hear about it.

Dishonor will not trouble me, once I am dead.
		-- Euripides
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University