[spr29779] setuid weirdness

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 4 22:58:36 UTC 2005

On FC2 and FC3, I'm having a problem with my custom application that wants
to run setuid. This problem does not occur under FC1 (2.4 kernel) or under
Suse (2.6.10 kernel). Admittedly, this is an unusual error message, but
perhaps it will mean something to someone here. When I run the app, I get

# ./myapp
couldn't open process map file
Unable to locate enough free space to restore C heap
Could not restore the image file:
     /home/luser/myapp/myapp.dxl.

The particular application is compiled under Allegro Common Lisp, a popular
lisp development environment from commercial vendor Franz, Inc. I've been
trying debug this with the help of Kevin Layer, a Franz developer, but we've
had no luck. Our latest hypothesis is that there's been some sort of Redhat
change to the kernel in the way /proc handles setuid processes, but at this
point we need the advice of someone with Redhat expertise.

Here's my original problem report:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.allegro/269

Here's an strace:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.allegro/271