linux newbie trying to configure my cable modem/router

iurodivii no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Sat Feb 5 03:28:24 UTC 2005

> Something along the lines of a Lynksys BEFSR41 fills this bill nicely.

funny you should mention it, i went and double-checked and that is exactly the linksys router i have!

> That way, you don't worry about network addresses except in house,
> which should all be on non-routable private addresses such as
> someplace in the 192.168.xxx.xxx block where xxx can be almost
> anything from 1 to 254, don't use the 0 and 255 addresses as they
> have a special use in many cases.  These routers have all the PPPoE
> and that sort of facilities built in, and generally speaking, a
> builtin firewall at least as good as iptables can be setup for, but
> without trashing your logs as the script kiddie rarely makes it to
> your logs.  The router will generally stop them cold.  I've had two
> attempts on this network in 2 years, and both of them came from
> compromized verizon DNS servers.
>
> Setup /etc/host files that define your local addresses.  That keeps
> local network maintainance down as you always know that the machine
> out in the shop is at so and so and an address, resolvable from its
> own name in the host file.

that part's a little over my head but in the
Setup /etc/host mode i choose Network configuration >>> i run the tool>>> then, if i am using the router as stated above, do i "Use dynamic IP config" or set the following four items on my own:
ip address
netmask
default gateway (ip)
primary nameserver

and if i do set these on my own, as Gene seemed to be implying
>   should all be on non-routable private addresses such as
> someplace in the 192.168.xxx.xxx block where xxx can be almost
> anything from 1 to 254, don't use the 0 and 255 addresses as they
> have a special use in many cases.

how do i know what to set these four items as?

thanks
chris

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org