Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Feb 5 03:57:22 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:20:45AM -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:
> Now back to my original question, has anyone else chucked this thing
> in the trash where it belongs and gone back to devfs, and what
> problems or issues need to be watched out for.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "back to devfs", because Fedora Core
and before that Red Hat Linux never used devfs, and to my knowledge, devfs
never was working perfectly (and was always marked as "experimental").

udev/hotplug may have some growing pains. However, by switching to devfs,
you'd be moving away from something that's at under very active development
to obsolete, unmaintained code due to be completely removed from the kernel.
That's the main thing I'd suggest watching out for. :)

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--