Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Feb 5 04:11:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 12:33:36AM +0100, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> It does not work well with PalmOS devices that only appear on USB while
> syncing. You need precise timing between pressing the hotsync button,
> waiting for udev to create the device files and starting pilot-link
> applications.

The applications should be updated to be better behaved.

> No, I don't want devfs. I did not see any reason to replace /dev with
> devfs and I don't see a reason to replace it with udev now. The energy
> would be better spent on better device names.

How? The future of computing is *more* dynamic devices, not fewer. The only
way to sensibly cope with this is by *managing* them as dynamic devices, not
sitting down and trying to assign a name and number to thousands of things
which haven't been invented yet.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--