Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Sat Feb 5 13:17:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 22:02 -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:
> I want whatever was working before it uninstalled and upgraded with
> udev.  I was under the impression that it was devfs, but I am
> wondering if it was static dev.  Whatever it is, udev failed not on
> something complex that can be explained away, but on a basic USB
> scanner.  Using Beta (closer to alpha if you ask me) software in a
> stable distribution is setting the Linux movement back, not forward.

I wonder if this really was a udev issue. Sane accesses my USB scanner
via libusb and I had to chmod/chown /proc/bus/usb/$bus/$device before I
could get it to work. Strange thing is that sane-find-scanner reported
the device even though scanimage failed to use it.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Chaos is the only form of life, order was caused by the Nazis and millions died!
                                                 - Peter Wenzl