plain vanilla kernel compile & GRUB

THUFIR HAWAT thufir.hawat at mail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:22:11 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get my wireless 802.11b SMC network adapter
model number: SMC 2662W-CA
part number: 99-012084-331
<http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_CAN&cid=5&scid=&pid=486>

to work with the driver at <http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/>, which I'm hoping is the correct driver.  I made the .config file, with "make xconfig," which was pretty easy, and think everything compiled and so forth.  Now I'd like to edit the "/boot/grub/menu.lst" file, but, I'm a bit hesitant because it looks like a link to a different file, actually.  Obviously, I want to boot with the new kernel as an option, right now it's win2k or fedora in the grub boot menu.

does anyone have any pointers, links, hints, etc, please?

my script log of the actual install is at <http://thufir.lecktronix.net/kernel/>,
click on "DOTconfig.txt" for the text file.  (It's very large, hence the pointer to the doc.)

Thank you,

Thufir Hawat
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm