desktop refresh

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:50:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:20:24 -0800, Brian Mury <b.mury at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-02 at 05:53 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:40:41 -0800, Brian Mury <b.mury at ieee.org> wrote:
> >
> > > You can hit ctrl-R right on the desktop - you don't need to open a
> > > nautilus window to do it.
> >
> > I don't think that this is correct. At least on my FD3 system on KDE,
> > I right-click the desktop and click Refresh Desktop, to no avail. If I
> > want anything that I downloaded to the desktop, I must get to it
> > through Konquerer or a Nautilus window.
>
> It does work with gnome. I don't use KDE so I can't comment on it.
>

> --

I really don't want to take this tread off topic, but this may be relevant:
When I connect my disk-on-key in gnome, I immediately get a nautilus
icon that points to the device. I can drag and drop just like you'd
expect.

In KDE, however, no matter what, I cannot read or write to the device.
I see it in /media/Bo (I have no idea how or who chose Bo) as it was
the very first time I connected it, with the same files in there that
I put there a few weeks ago. Despite the fact that I have removed
those files from the device and since put other things there (in gnome
or my friends WInXP box), this is how it stays in KDE. I can even open
those files!

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Is this an error in my
understanding of the way things work, a simple
something-wrong-with-my-system, or a possible bug?

Thanks all for the input.

Dotan Cohen