760 Kernel and DriveReadySeekComplete errors

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sat Feb 5 13:52:33 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> When my rather old laptop boots the 760 kernel for Fedora Core 3, I get
> kernel messages similar to this (the message text is not exact):
>
> DriveReadySeekCompleteError
> failed opcode is: 100
>
> This is on a Sony Vaio PCG-F350 laptop which is rather old (we bought it
> in 1998 or 1999.) I just replaced the original 6 Gb hard drive with a
> new Western Digital 60 Gb drive. The BIOS recognizes the size of the
> drive. I also notice that the drive activity LED stays on all the time now.
>
> Any idea of what is happening here?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob Cochran

two things are possible... either the kernel is having trouble
communicating with the hard drive, or your hard drive is on it's way out
and is about to crash... I would seriously consider running a slightly
older kernel for a little while and see if these errors go away. If they
do then its very likely that the kernel is just being weird. OTH...if
the errors persist then you have a failing drive or bad controler.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996