Activating wireless card at boot

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Feb 5 15:07:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 06:53:12AM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> On Friday 04 February 2005 2:10 pm, akonstam at trinity.edu flailed at a keyboard
> and produced this:
>
> > In my precious message on your problem I forgot to mention that you
> > need pcmcia properly configured . Has that been done?
>
> I assume so, since the wireless device *does* work.  It's seen at boot (I can
> see it coming up during the start-up dialogue).  It just doesn't work unless
> I execute those commands at root.
>
> Incidentally, I've found that these two commands are all that I need:
>
> # iwconfig wlan0 key restricted <my-key>
> # ifconfig wlan0 <ip-address>
>
> Since I've decided to use a static IP address for the computer on my home
> network.  I still need to execute these manually if I want to use the
> wireless card.

First, I am well aware that one can get eth0 not to come up on boot.
But I was just trying to get Fedora to do what that dreaded M$
operating system does, which is, that when it detects that the eth0
interface is not connected does npt bring the interface up.

But I still don't see why you don't bring up the interface by the
command: ifup wlan0

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes.  I get stranger things than you free
with my breakfast cereal.
		-- Zaphod Beeblebrox
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science