Activating wireless card at boot

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 5 16:31:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 09:33, jim lawrence wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:22:45 -0500, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 22:30, jim lawrence wrote:
> >

> > > Try using Networkmanager
> > > Go to this url and see if this helps
> > > http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/jim_lawrence/network_manager/
> > >
> > Thank you for that link.  I had been having difficulty getting the
> > wireless interface working on a tecra m2.  After learning from your
> > write up how to use NetworkManager, wireless is now working.
> >
> > 3. I don't understand why the wireless interface does not start during
> > boot.  It only starts once NetworkManagerInfo starts once I log into the
> > system.  This causes a couple of errors to occur during boot up, first
> > on is failure to start eth1 and the second one is failure to sync ntpd
> last time you were connected.
>
> the reason why wireless doesn't get strted at boot is because yo could
> be ina different palce than the  *NM tries to connect to the last
> known AP when it starts, but if it doesn't find that AP, it will
> search for another. Pretty cool huh:)

That is kind of cool.  However I still don't see a way to select from
several optional APs.  How would I force my wireless connection to my AP
if by chance it happened to connect to my neighbors the first time?

Is this an enhancement request?

> After your booted up  run NetworkManagerIfo and open the terminal, and type
> I think session-save  open up your network device control and uncheck
> the box that says  start device on boot for bothe wireless and wired
> devices NM will start them fo you.

I understand how this will eliminate the error during boot for the
network interface but there will still be an error when ntp starts.

Also, it appears that the only way to get wireless working is via
NetworkManager.  I tried for several hours to get the wireless interface
working without prior to reading your web page. (btw did I say thank you
for that? :)  )

I could get the system to see the wireless card, could even run iwlist
scan and see the APs in the area.  But was unable to get it to establish
a connection with the AP.  Tried both DCHP and static addressing.  With
static addressing the interface came up but was not connected to the
AP.  Using NetworkManager it works.  But there is very little control.
For instance is it possible to use a static address with NetworkManager?

Again, thanks for getting this going on my system. Not sure it has all
the features I think should be there.  But it does work.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

If I traveled to the end of the rainbow