custom kernel

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Sat Feb 5 18:43:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 12:23 -0600, ShashankBhide wrote:
> > The error messages you get would be necessary to diagnose this.
> >
> > Paul.
> I am builing the kernel version 2.6.10-1.1121_FC4 on a sony vaio PCG
> GRV550 Laptop with pentium 4 processor.
>

> I do not know how much of the output is going to be needed; I am going
> to paste the end part of the rpmbuild -bb command here.

Maybe it's just me but, IMHO, I think it unwise to build kernels from
the src.rpm. The entire process seems arcane and the results are not
entirely predictable. It seems safer and simpler to do the following:

1. Obtain and install the src.rpm
2. Edit the spec file to compile a kernel-source.rpm
3. Install the kernel-source.rpm which installs the complete source tree
to /usr/src.
4. Make mrproper, make menuconfig, make all, make modules_install, make
install, make clean.

You now have a new, fully customized kernel, ready to run, with
grub.conf updated.

"But it's not an RPM." So what?