Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 5 20:32:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 16:41 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
>
> > BTW,  Fedora Core is bleeding edge.  If you don't like using the latest,
> > get a distro that is on a slower development path.
>
> I wish people would stop repeating this mantra.
> In my experience Fedora Core is at least as reliable
> as any other Linux distribution.
>
> If there is a bug in udev, as the OP claimed
> (I haven't encountered any problems with udev)
> then it is bug, and should be treated as such,
> instead of responding (in effect) "What do you expect?".
---
fair enough and OP stated that he had put in entries into bugzilla as
well but that wasn't going to end problem of his device timing out on
USB bus which Paul so aptly pointed out.

I think the whine about Fedora not working with his scanner putting him
back 2 years in his quest to replace Windows with Linux was a catalyst
for a lot of the reaction.

There is of course the perception that Fedora is 'stable' or as you put
it reliable. Officially, it is a 'testing' package and RHEL is the
'stable' package. Whether you call it 'bleeding edge' as Jeff did, or
'leading edge' as official Fedora Objectives do, the distinction between
'testing' and 'stable' can at times be profound.

Craig