Ah, now why did yum do that?

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 21:48:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:35:58 +1100, david smethurst
<davidjs at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> hi all
> i did a update yesterday and yum loaded in fedora core
> (2.6.10-1.760_fc3smp)
> this is a single cpu unit on a single cpu motherboard
> amd 64 3500+ on msi k8nneo2 platium with 1gb ram
> i also have installed fedora core
> (2.6.10-1.760_fc3)
> the out come is that with the smp kernel it will reboot at will
> the standard 64bit kernel is stable
> question is why did yum install the smp on a single cpu machine?
>
> thanks for any info
> david

I only have one CPU as well, but I am using the SMP kernel because
it's a P4 with Hyperthreading. The system sees it as TWO cpus. I don't
know if your CPU is detected as multiples or not, so I can't be
totally sure of the answer. However, if you know that the single CPU
version works fine for you then modify your grub.conf file to make
that the default.

As far as I know, when you do a kernel update, you will get both
versions (smp and regular) or at least that's how it seems to have
worked for me over the past several kernel updates... one package, two
versions.

--

David