Lost Sound

Mark Thomas mthomas at interlynx.net
Sat Feb 5 23:18:21 UTC 2005

>> Newbie asks...
>>
>>     I have the FC1 DVD from the "LInux for Dummies" and I downloaded
>> FC3 from Redhat. When I installed FC1, the install sound detection was
>> able to find and play sound. Seeing that most people here us FC3, I
>> tried installing it. It looks and works much better, however, the
>> sound detection did not work when I installed it. Why would a OS
>> version that is supposed to be better not find things that the older
>> OS found.
>>
>> Mark
>
> 1. What modules are loaded?   It may have installed the module and you
> not know it. "lsmod" will give you that.
>
> 2. If the modules are loaded it is likely that the volume controls in
> the mixer are turned down/muted.
> aumix or alsamixer should tell you that.
>
> you can do Menu --> System Settings --> Soundcard Detection to find out
> if the soundcard was detected and the module loaded.  If the test sound
> plays then it is likely a mixer volume that is preventing you from
> hearing the sound.

I have turned on all muted controls in the Volume Control and set them to
full volume. Lsmod is loaded. The card is a Sound Blaster Audgy 2 2Z. After
running the sound detection software, adjusting the volume settings etc,
many times, there still is no sound at all. I even tried lying to the system
and told it I could hear the sound just to see if it made any difference,
but it did not. Bt under FC1, it worked.