udev not passively adding alsa-oss devices...

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Feb 6 02:46:28 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 20:59 -0500, Aaron Gaudio wrote:
> Whenever I boot up my laptop, I have /etc/rc.modules manually load the
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is this the file you have it in? or is it actually /etc/modprobe.conf?

You should not need to manually load any of the modules.  The install
should have set it up for loading the modules at boot time.

> various alsa-oss modules. However, udev does not appear to be getting
> events and adding devices (e.g. /dev/dsp) for these. When I manually
> run /sbin/udev_start, the appropriate devices get created.
>
> Is this a udev problem or is it caused by the alsa-oss devices not
> registering correctly with hotplug, etc. (or is it something I might be
> doing)?

It may be because you are doing things manually.  Udev is one of the
earliest services to start.  Mine does everything automagically and
everything works.  The only changes I had to make to /etc/modprobe.conf
was the configurations needed to load ndiswrapper for my wireless
adapter.