custom kernel

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 6 03:28:16 UTC 2005

On Saturday 05 February 2005 21:45, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>David Cary Hart wrote:

>>>I am builing the kernel version 2.6.10-1.1121_FC4 on a sony vaio
>>> PCG GRV550 Laptop with pentium 4 processor.
>>>

>>>I do not know how much of the output is going to be needed; I am
>>> going to paste the end part of the rpmbuild -bb command here.
>>
>>Maybe it's just me but, IMHO, I think it unwise to build kernels
>> from the src.rpm. The entire process seems arcane and the results
>> are not entirely predictable. It seems safer and simpler to do the
>> following:
>>
>>1. Obtain and install the src.rpm
>>2. Edit the spec file to compile a kernel-source.rpm
>>3. Install the kernel-source.rpm which installs the complete source
>> tree to /usr/src.
>>4. Make mrproper, make menuconfig, make all, make modules_install,
>> make install, make clean.
>>
>>You now have a new, fully customized kernel, ready to run, with
>>grub.conf updated.
>>
>>"But it's not an RPM." So what?

I disagree with this personally.  If one doesn't build from kernel.org
srcs, how else does the code that winds up in your favorite distro
going to get enough checking to catch small, but showstopper bugs in
as many environments as the distro's kernels will have to run on when
the distro gets around to issueing an rpm?

I'm not much of a coder anymore, too many years (70) on the grey
matter.  I think I was the most productive in my 50's at carving out
C.  Or assembly, whatever. But that doesn't stop me from following an
interesting thread of kernels such as the RT kernel patches Ingo
Molnar is working on, and which some parts of have already made it
into mainline.  So everytime he issues a new patch, I build it and
run it just because if something goes all agaga on my hardware, the
exact patch that did it, or was wrong, can be identified and fixed
long before you folks ever get to play with it in rpm format.

[root at coyote /]# uname -r
2.6.11-rc3-V0.7.38-01-RT

Thats my contribution to the progress of linux in general.  I'm one of
the canarys in the coal mines.  Somebody needs to do it now don't
they?

Like you said above, "But its not an RPM."  <shrug>

For the same reason, I haven't run the make install in years,
prefering to do my own grub.conf/menu.lst editing, its much safer as
the previous working entry is not removed until *I* remove it,
probably a long way down the log when I'm forced to play space patrol
in my 100 meg /boot partition.  My own 'makeit' script takes care of
all the required copying.  Grub is the best thing to come down the
pike since bottled beer, and most folks don't use 50% of its
capabilities.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene