Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 6 04:07:32 UTC 2005

Kevin Fries wrote:

> The real bitch in all of this is that I am trying hard to eliminate
> Windows in our workplace, and this incident set us way back.  Because
> Linux will not talk to a basic scanner, I just got "schooled" on why
> Linux is imappropriate for all business use.  Everyone in the forum
> knows that this is crap, but we are talking about business not technical
> people making the final decision (account not me writes the checks).
> This is why beta (and udev is late alpha early beta stage) software
> should not be in a stable distro tree!!!!  This is business 101 people.
> ~ How can we battle the Microsofting of our networks, with all its
> security nightmares, if we can not offer an alternative that can talk to
> a basic scanner, webcam (for video conferencing), etc?

So you want a different policy of Fedora.

I personally love the release cycle of Fedora Core, udev works perfectly
on a desktop and a notebook here.

In a company with +100 desktops I might not use Fedora Core as
distribution at all, because I might go for a very conservative approach
and might prefer longer lifecycles (Red Hat is providing such a solution
as well, other distributors may provide that as well).

But: the short release cycles and being able to use newest developments
  are the main reasons why I personally chose FC as my favorite
distribution, and I work with it (so I do not use rawhide and do not
install test-releases).

As a user (I am not a developer, I am not a programmer, I work with FC
and was able to quit using Windows at all thanks to Fedora) I definitely
would not appreciate a more conservative approach of the FC-releases. If
I would prefer that, I would change the distribution or use working
FC-releases longer.

And I love new hardware, and Fedora gives me the opportunity to use
Linux with it. Other distributions failed with this task.

--
Regards
Markus Huber