Second video card not detected?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 07:16:20 UTC 2005

Brian Parish wrote:

>Just loaded Core 3 and all seems fairly smooth except for setting up dual
>monitors.  I have an PCI and a AGP card installed, but it looks very much
>like the AGP card is not being detected.
>
>Tried booting a live CD and it found both cards, but system-config-display
>sees only one card.  Tried manually setting up xorg.conf using the bus ID
>detected using the live CD, but of course this is ignored because the card
>doesn't exist as far as the current system is concerned.
>
>Is there a utility I can use to scan the bus and attempt to force recognition
>of the second card?  Any suggestions welcome.
>
>TIA
>Brian

I have the same problem with trying to get dual-head working in FC3. For
some reason dual-head support is getting harder to get working.
Some people have installed the FC2 version of xorg-x11 and were able to
get dual-head to work again. Others, like me are having fits with
different combinations of video cards and being disappoined with the
lack of a working dual-head configuration.
Rawhide (FC4 development) is even worse, the second card is not even
listed in the choices when using system-config-display to attempt to
configure dual head.

In my case, I have an internal Intel 815 card. If I add a PCI video card
like an ATI or a Radeon 7200, I get memory address overlaps. This causes
server lockups attempting dual-head and also causes reduced resolution
capability for my internal 815 card.

I now have the internal 815 graphics controller and an AGP nvidia video
card in this computer and the nvidia does not show in the lspci listing
when the card is set as the primary or the internal video card is set to
primary.

In my findings, I found that some computers disable the internal card if
you try adding an AGP card, but allow the internal and a PCI card to
function in a dual display configuration. The strange aspect is that the
Intel 815 is listed in the output of lspci when the nvidia card is set
to primary.

Anyway, I think that you might be out of luck at this stage for FC3 to
be able to configure your system for dual-display. Post the output of
lspci -v and those woth actual working dual-display setups might be able
to figure out the pecularities that might be preventing your ability to
get dual-display working.

Sorry I have no answers. Older xorg-x11 version might work.

Jim