Let us call this something else. {formally Fedora 3 sucks)

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Feb 6 14:14:37 UTC 2005

This is essentially what I said and the pst I was replying to:
> I don't support name calling, but you did do it first ("FC3 Sucks" is
> the equivelent of calling everyone on this list a bad name, as we're all
> involved in some manner with the development of FC3). That doesn't
> neccessarily make it okay for thomas to unleash the language like that,
> but you've done nothing but present problems that aren't related to
> Fedora CORE 3 as if they're bugs in the way FC3 is put together and
> functions. Gnome is NOT developed by the FC3 developers, it is an
> optional package that you may choose to install when you are installing
> FC3. VirtualPC is NOT developed by the FC3 developers. Java is NOT
> developed by the FC3 developers.

The above statement remind me of a joke of a lost helicopter pilot who
asks a person in the window of a building, "Where am I?" The answer he
received was, "In a helicopter". He know knew where he was. He was
outside the Microsoft building because the answer was correct but did
not really speak to his real problem.

Fedora is a collection of software packaged as a unit and distributed
by Fedora (who I claim is really a subgroup of RedHat). They chose
what to include and what to not include. Sure someone with experience
can choose which of the included software not to install so his needs
are best met. But one of our goals as a Linux community is to convince people
that Linux offers an viable alternative to that other choice.
To posit that everything that is part of the distribution that was not
actually written by the Fedora developers  (which includes the kernels)
can not be discussed or criticized is a slippery slope.

We may be all involved in Fedora Development in some way but not in
the same way. There are some that are more equal than others. It is my
position that any program that is distributed on the CD-s of a Fedora
distribution is fair game to be discussed on the list both positively
and negatively.
Serocki's Stricture:
	Marriage is always a bachelor's last option.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.
San Antonio, TX 78212-7200

telephone: (210)-999-7484
email:akonstam at trinity.edu

----- End forwarded message -----

Fellow programmer, greetings!  You are reading a letter which will bring
you luck and good fortune.  Just mail (or UUCP) ten copies of this letter
to ten of your friends.  Before you make the copies, send a chip or
other bit of hardware, and 100 lines of 'C' code to the first person on the
list given at the bottom of this letter.  Then delete their name and add
yours to the bottom of the list.

Don't break the chain!  Make the copy within 48 hours.  Gerald R. of San
Diego failed to send out his ten copies and woke the next morning to find
his job description changed to "COBOL programmer."  Fred A. of New York sent
out his ten copies and within a month had enough hardware and software to
build a Cray dedicated to playing Zork.  Martha H. of Chicago laughed at
this letter and broke the chain.  Shortly thereafter, a fire broke out in
her terminal and she now spends her days writing documentation for IBM PC's.

Don't break the chain!  Send out your ten copies today!
For example, if \thinmskip = 3mu, this makes \thickmskip = 6mu.  But if
you also want to use \skip12 for horizontal glue, whether in math mode or
not, the amount of skipping will be in points (e.g., 6pt).  The rule is
that glue in math mode varies with the size only when it is an \mskip;
when moving between an mskip and ordinary skip, the conversion factor
1mu=1pt is always used.  The meaning of '\mskip\skip12' and
'\baselineskip=\the\thickmskip' should be clear.
		-- Donald Knuth, TeX 82 -- Comparison with TeX80
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.