bad gnome-terminal or bad script?

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Sun Feb 6 15:35:30 UTC 2005

I've just started exploring the Expect language and have quickly hit a
little bit of a speed bump.  But I'm not sure it's Expect that's the
problem.

In an FC3 gnome-terminal, I try to run the following script:
----------------------
#!/usr/bin/expect --
spawn ssh 192.168.0.9
expect "word: "
send "password\r"
expect "]$ "
interact
----------------------

I don't think it's possible to get any simpler than that.  It completes
successfully and everything seems to be just fine.  Until I attempt to
run a command in the newly spawned ssh session that generates a fair
amount of output such as "ls -la /usr/bin" or cat'ing a larger text
file.  The output of such a command starts off like normal but before it
finishes, the output gets "stuck", for lack of a better word.  A few
screenfuls of output go by and then it simply stops in it's tracks.  The
output jiggles around a bit in the term window but the output doesn't
finish.  The cursor seems stuck in place.  I can't Ctrl-c out of it
either but rather I have to manually kill it.

Does this seem like a gnome-terminal problem or a script problem?  Thanks!