removing MySQL by using YUM and RPM

Danesh Daroui danesh_d at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 16:20:31 UTC 2005

Hi all,

On a system with fc3 I wanted to upgrade the current
MySQL (3.23) to latest version (4.1). I downloaded
RPMs and installed and then the system got into chaos.
The RPMS uninstalled previous version of MySQL and
installed the new version but the new version doesn't
work. Althought, I can not uninstall this new version
installed. The YUM doesn't remove it and when I run:

RPM -e MySQL-server-...

It says that the package is not installed. When I run:

RPM -i MySQL-server...

It says the packe is already installed !!! How can I
remove the currently installed MySQL ? Also, does
anybody have any tip about upgrading MySQL from this
damn old version of MySQL which is still with fc3 to
latest version on fc3 without headache ?

Regards,

Danesh Daroui