Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 16:24:56 UTC 2005

Warren Togami wrote:

> D. D. Brierton wrote:
>
>> I've been a RHL and FC user for quite some time. I've been on the
>> mailing lists, and had bugzilla accounts for a long time now. But this
>> mailing list is strangling itself. The volume is way too high. Look at
>> the beginning of the Fedora Project and see how many Red Hat engineers
>> regularly posted to this list, and now look at how many do (Tim Waugh
>> and Dave Jones make an occasional appearance here these days, and we're
>> lucky to have them). That's it. Who's driven them away? WE HAVE.
>>
> Totally in agreement, please read my post on this subject here.
>
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/wtogami/2005/02/04/
>
> Key to the problem is that mailing lists are far from the best medium
> for end-user support.  We need to steer end-users to an entirely
> different medium in order to scale effectively.  Official project
> change in that direction is happening soon.  Read the link above for
> details.
>
> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com

Speaking as an end-user, I agree that the current mailing list leaves
something to be desired as a medium for "end-user" support.  But then,
end-user support has never been Red Hat's strongest suit in my book.

Drawing on first hand experiences in installing and running RH 4.1/4.2,
RH 7.1, RH 8.0, and now Fedora Core 2, I say unequivocally that the
fedora-list has provided the strongest end-user support.  Fundamentally,
the proposition that Red Hat has ever considered providing support for
ALL types of Fedora users an objective is dubious.  That point was
driven home by Red Hat's change in business plan to offer official
support only for RHEL and unilateral suspension of support agreements
for RH 8 (five months early in my case) and RH 9.  Spare us the
pretensions of effecting change to improve or enhance support for end-users.

If Red hat wants to limit the population of fedora-list to system
administrators, it should make that point clear at the outset.  If Red
Hat wants to promote continuing expansion of the linux market and the
market for linux support services, it will lend greater support to SOHO
desktop end-users.   Expansion of the linux market -- and breadth and
depth of de-bugging feedback to Red Hat for product improvement --  can
be achieved at minimum expense and effort by strengthening Fedora Core
Release notes in a few places and posting new FAQs relevant to
particular problem areas which surface with each new release.
Jettisoning of detailed list archives in favor of some issue
summaries/abstracts for use in FAQs would also be helpful to both Red
Hat and users.  All arcive users encounter a tremendous amount of noise
in searching for information relevant to their issue of concern.

As for the absence of regular postings to fedora-list by Red Hat
engineers, maybe that is due more to the emergence of rapid responses to
problems and issues from knowledgeable members of the Fedora
community-at-large than to any other factor.