removing MySQL by using YUM and RPM

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 16:26:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:20:31 -0800 (PST), Danesh Daroui
<danesh_d at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On a system with fc3 I wanted to upgrade the current
> MySQL (3.23) to latest version (4.1). I downloaded
> RPMs and installed and then the system got into chaos.
> The RPMS uninstalled previous version of MySQL and
> installed the new version but the new version doesn't
> work. Althought, I can not uninstall this new version
> installed. The YUM doesn't remove it and when I run:
>
> RPM -e MySQL-server-...
>
> It says that the package is not installed. When I run:
>
> RPM -i MySQL-server...
>
> It says the packe is already installed !!! How can I
> remove the currently installed MySQL ? Also, does
> anybody have any tip about upgrading MySQL from this
> damn old version of MySQL which is still with fc3 to
> latest version on fc3 without headache ?

I'm not sure why you are having problems removing the packages. Can
you run the following command and show us the output:

rpm -qa | grep -i mysql

As for upgrading, you will notice that there are other packages which
have a dependency on a library file called libmysqlclient.so.10. The
4.1.9 mysql package installes a newer version (libmysqlclient.so.14)
which breaks those dependencies. So you will also need to download
from mysql.org (or some other site) a package called
MySQL-shared-compat-4.1.9-0 which will leave the 10 version as well as
let you install the 14 version.

Install the shared-compat version before you remove the old mysql package:
rpm -i MySQL-shared-compat-4.1.9-0
rpm -e mysql

Then make sure the rest of your old mysql packages are removed, and
then install the new 4.1.9 version from the RPMs you can download from
mysql.org.