sound problem

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 16:39:27 UTC 2005

I haven't followed this thread, so I don't know if this is relevant but I have
a Dell Precision 650 dual processor, and I have a problem every time I
reinstall the OS under the 2.6 kernel.

The solution for me (as per Terry Cole) has been to install and run alsaconf.
"For some reason the code for alsaconf is still  in the alsa-utils
source RPM - it's even compiled, but the spec instructions delete it
before installation. So one way to get hold of alsaconf is to download
the alsa-utils source RPM (currently alsa-utils-1.0.3-1.src.rpm) and
extract the tarball from that. This is done with:
rpmbuild --recompile  alsa-utils-1.0.3-1.src.rpm
At that point the source will be in
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/alsa-utils-1.0.3

The usual configure/make/make install will  then get you a working
alsaconf."

Thanks and best wishes!