Question on installation of FC3_86_64.

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sun Feb 6 18:20:13 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

>> Maybe by doing an upgrade instead of an install. Tho I do not see
>> why you cannot just change the cpu and mobo and move everything
>> over. You may have to do a grub-install but I'm just guessing here.

doing a cross-arch (i386-x8_64) upgrade between fc1 and fc2 kind of
worked.. it left all the fc1 i386 arch packages on the machine. which then
you prevent you from upgrading anything because they cause conflicts... if
you make a list of all the packages on the machine before you install it's
pretty easy to go back and cull them... it isn't very graceful. attempting
to do this between rh9 and fc1 sort of crashed and burned, I haven't tried
it with fc3 since the machines are already migrated.

>> N.Emile...
>>
> You can simply unplug the disk drive and plug into the new motherboard and
> everything should be working fine.. Never tried changing from x86 to x86_64 ,
> but I've changed motherboards once (from a via based to a nforce based
> motherboard). Kudzu recognized everything.

yeah an amd64 machine will happily run i386 code so if you just want to
cut over from one set of hardware to the other that works fine.

I, my case on my desktop, I replaced a via chipset athlon mainboard with
a via chipset athlon64 mainboard, moved all the rest of my hardware and
the machine came up just like before only faster... ;)

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu