bad gnome-terminal or bad script?

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Sun Feb 6 21:43:20 UTC 2005

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

>>> Ive seen this in VC too, so that rules out gnome-terminal, however
>>> always
>>> with SSH, so maybe this is rather an SSH problem.
>>>

>> I just tried the same script with telnet instead of SSH.  The exact same
>> thing happens so it's not an SSH thing.
>>
>> I don't know what a VC is that you mentioned but when I run the script
>> from a console, it behaves beautifully with none of the bad behavior I
>> described earlier.  So from my perspective, it still could be a
>> gnome-terminal issue.  But I suppose it could be an environment thing or
>> maybe even a desktop or Gnome problem.
>>
>> I'm just grasping at straws and hoping for suggestions.
>>

> By VC I meant system terminal... I had seen the issue there, but since
> you don't... Then I couldn't say.

I just tried to run the script a couple more ways.  In xterm and
konsole, the exact same bad behavior occurs as when I stsrt it in
gnome-terminal.  So it's sounding less and less like a strictly
gnome-terminal issue.  I'd even say that Expect itself could be suspect
except for the fact that it runs just peachy in a full screen
(ctrl-alt-F1) console.

*Something* is causing this weird behavior...