Fedora Core 3 Sound Problems....?

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 23:38:08 UTC 2005

Julian Daich wrote:

>I'm new in Linux and apparently have the same problem. My question is
>where can I introduce the" $chmod 664 /dev/hdc " command?
>
>Julian
>

>El sáb, 29-01-2005 a las 10:05 +0530, Vibhu Rishi escribió:
>

>>>After installing Fedora, the first thing i notice is that i can't play
>>>any VCD, DVD or even normal audio CDs; I "tested" my soundcard and it
>>>

>>I assume you are able to mount a data CD but not able to play your audio
>>CDs ?
>>
>>If so, I had the same problem.
>>
>>FC3 has a bug in the installation which makes the permissions of your CD
>>drive as 640. Change the permissions to 644 and your audio cds will
>>start playing. E.g. on my machine the CDROM drive is /dev/hdc ( use the
>>hardware browser to find out if you dont know)
>>
>>$chmod 664 /dev/hdc
>>
>>Working on the video part though. I have the same problem. Can't watch
>>Star Wars DVDs.. sigh ! :(
>>
>>vibhu..
>>--

Panel pop-up menu --> System tools --> Terminal, or alternatively right
click on the desktop --> Open Terminal

Su - at the prompt and enter your root password.  Enter the command at
the prompt.  After execution of the command, return to user via the exit
command, close the terminal via the exit command.

You should get a hold of some reference books on linux and do some
reading before trying to post many more messages.  A good starting point
might be pdf files of Red Hat Linux 9.0 "Getting Started", "reference",
and "customization" guides available through following links on Fedora
documentation or links on documentation at Red Hat's home web site.