FC3 on Toshiba Satellite A15-S129 Laptop?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 23:38:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 11:11, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> When you say firmware  for the card, do you mean you have to install
> code into the card? (I've heard of updating firmware in certain types of
> hardware.) I was thinking of buying a DWL G650 to increase the
> connection speed.
>
> Rick B.

Yes, that is my understanding. Apparently many (maybe all) of these
wireless cards have firmware that is needed to run them.  It looks like
the drivers load this as they initialize the card.  I found the same was
true of the ipw2200bg chip set (centrino) on a new laptop.  The driver
is built into the kernel but I had to download and install the firmware
which was picked up when the driver loaded.

This is not a typical firmware upgrade where it is downloaded once.

Like I said the DWL-G650 I have works well under FC2.  Using it right
now!  :)

 It uses the prism54 drivers.  However other versions of the DWL-G650
use a different chip set which requires different drivers.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

I'm not prejudiced, I hate everyone equally.