help with video to DVD?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Feb 6 23:44:50 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 15:10 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I have a FC3 Athlon box with a firewire card. I would like to make a DVD from
> videotapes of an old friend's memorial service. I have two tapes and a
> (borrowed) Sony camera that has a firewire port. I'd like to play the tapes
> from the camera into the computer, then make a dvd using my LG dvd burner. I
> have never done this before and would appreciate suggestions for application
> software to ease the task. Suggestions?

Hi Dave,

I'm just learning how to do this as well.

So far, heres my notes (most things run as root):

 0) get the dag GPG key:
    "rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt"

 1) add the dag repository to yum:
    $  cat > /etc/yum.repos.d/dag.repo <EOF
[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/dag/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

EOF
    and see: http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B3
    for more details

 2) "yum install 'kino*'" and "yum install 'dvgrab*'"

 3) if you don't already have the /dev/raw1394 file, run:
    "mknod -m 666 /dev/raw1394 c 171 0"

 4) use dvgrab ("man dvgrab") to get the video as an AVI
    file (or files) from your camera

 5) "yum install mplayer"

 6) convert the AVI file(s) to DivX or other format using the
    mencoder program that comes with mplayer

 7) ...burn to DVD with...?

I don't quite have Steps 6 & 7 figured out but then I've only had this
DVD burner for a few hours.  ;-)

Good luck and hope you get it all working!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307