libmysqlclient.so.10

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 00:21:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 07:37:50 +1100, Alan McDonald <alan at meta.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks Afros,
> but no, this only works if the file exists on my system.
> I want to install MySQL and I get this dependency error.
> Now I want to install it from the CDs but I have tried many of the rms of
> the CD to try to install this lib but to know avail. There are a lot of rpms
> which depend ont his lib but no sign of it on the CD.
> I can't beleive that I need to go the website and download the shared rpm to
> get it. Surely it's on the CD? I have many boxes to build - I can't believe
> the CDs are only the partial MySQL setup
> Alan
> PS, I need the .so.10 lib but another box I have only has the .so.10.0.0
> lib. Are they the same? what's involved in moving the one I have over to the
> other box?

I'm not sure I would just copy it because you still have to get it
registered with the system so it knows what library files you have.
Installing it from RPM would do that for you.

Here's the problem though. You say you want to install from CD, but
how did you get MySQL-4.1.9? The FC3 CDs don't have 4.1.9 on them. If
you try to install 4.1.9 as an upgrade to your 3.23.xx installation,
it will attempt to remove the .10 version to upgrade it to the .14
version. But the .10 version is required to satisy other dependencies.
If you downloaded 4.1.9 to install, then why not download the
shared-compat-4.1.9 file and install that?

The whole reason for the shared-compat file's existence is to allow
you to satisfy the dependencies for packages that require the .10
version, while still installing the .14 version as well.