Setup Scripts

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Feb 7 00:26:45 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan McDonald" <alan at meta.com.au>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 5:56 PM
Subject: Setup Scripts

> Can someone tell me where to find setup scripts for the following:
> I need to setup a mini WebHosting environment.
> I want a script to add a user/password, create a home dir,

User /sbin/grub-md5-crypt to generate an MD5 encrypted password, then run
useradd -p [password] username.  This will add the user, the user's home
directory and set the password.

> create a symlink
> for it from home/usr to var/www/html,

This is a really bad idea.  Instead you need to set up virtual hosts which
point to /home/[username]/public_html.  Giving regular users permissions
outside of their home directory can be a Bad Thing(TM)

> to create domain host header, to add
> postfix user account so this user can manage their own email for the
> domain,

Dunno anything about Postfix.  I am a Sendmail person, sorry.  If you'd like
to do this with Sendmail, please let us know.

> etc and maybe other things to fit in with this need.

Like what?

> thanks
> Alan

You're welcome,