RPM problems

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 02:32:42 UTC 2005

Jesse Hannah wrote:
> I've tried it as su and in a root console, but it gives me the same
> thing. I'll try -Uvh though.

Try running
rpm --rebuilddb
  to clean up the database that keeps track of programs installed on
your computer. There might have been some corruption caused by rpm being
interrupted in mid-process or something.

Also, you might run
rpm -q program
to see if running
rpm -i program
caused multiple installations of the same program within the rpm database.

If you do happen to have multiple installations of the same program but
different versions of the program, chances are that the last installed
program walked all over your first installed rpms files that were
located in the same directory and same file names.

man rpm
might be worth reading over for getting familiar with all the options
that are possible using rpm. As mentioned earlier, you should use -Uvh
or simply -U or --upgrade for most packages on your computer. The kernel
and gpg-pubkeys are mainly the only rpms that are installed with
multiple versions available. (On my system anyway)

Jim