Reading/Copying from NTFS Partition

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 7 06:48:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 15:12 +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> Mark Sargent wrote:
>
> > Mark Sargent wrote:

> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> great stuff guys. Downloaded/installed/mounted...again, great stuff.
> >> Cheers.
> >>
> >> Mark Sargent.
> >>

> > Hi All,
> >
> > can I also write to NTFS with this add-on..? Is it stable..? Cheers.
> >
> > Mark Sargent.
> >
> Hi All,
>
> does gedit/fedora2 have problems with filenames with spaces..? Can't
> seem to open the following, /mnt/windows/Program Files/Microsoft
> Office/Templates/1041/address.doc. Keep getting a file doesn't exist
> error message. Cheers.

Linux (all versions) (or rather the shell, bash in this case) sees the
white space as a break character and thus sees your line as 2 names.

You can disable that by surrounding the entire path to the filename with
double quotes ( " ).  Or you can use the autocomplete feature of the
shell to tab past the space and it will escape the white space with a \
like ".../Program\ Files/...".  OR you can type it with the escaped
white space like I just showed.