Incomplete Distro???

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 7 08:03:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 17:48 +1100, Alan McDonald wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:11:55PM +1100, Alan McDonald wrote:
> > > But I have to ask, why so many dependent rpms are missing from
> > the fedora
> > > distro Cds. I wanted to use gcc, so I start trying to install
> > and like other
> > > things requiring dependent libs, gcc requires, in this instance,
> > > kernel-headers which is not on the CDs.

Did this say the package kernel-headers?  If not then it is just telling
you the headers are not available.

> >   $ rpm -q --whatprovides kernel-headers
> >   glibc-kernheaders-2.4-9.1.87
> >
> > It might have been more helpful to title your post "can't find
> > kernel-headers package" -- your current one seems a bit over-worried. :)
> >
> > --
> > Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org
>
> well now I might be even more worried because the anser to whatprovides on
> my Fedora Core 2 is not glibc-kernheaders but kernel-headers-2.4-9.34 and
> that file is not present on my distro..
> What else don't I undertand
> thanks
> Alan

I think Matt's answer was from FC3, not FC2.

The distro CDs (disk 1 or 2) should have the required package, and in
FC2 IIRC the headers are in the kernel-source RPM which is on disk 2.

With FC3 (and I think in a later update in FC2), they have removed the
kernel-souce RPM and moved the headers to another package since a lot of
people did not use the source but often had to install it just for the
headers when compiling other things that required the kernel headers but
nothing else from the kernel source tree.

The kernel-source package is also available from the fedora site at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/

BTW, I reread your message about the required kernel-headers-2.4-9.34
and then checked what is in FC2 and FC1.
FC1 starts with kernel 2.4.22
FC2 starts with kernel 2.6.5
However, kernel-utils is 2.4-9 in both.
The required package would imply you need headers for the 2.4 kernel,
but FC2 has never had a 2.4 kernel.  It started with 2.6.5 kernel.

I wonder what version of gcc you are installing and where you got it?
It doesn't seem likely that it is a fedora package if it requires
another package that is not provided by fedora.

With FC2 you should be able to do a "yum install gcc " and it should
identify any dependencies and install them for you. (Of course this
presumes that you have an internet connection for this machine.)

Try that before you say the distribution is broken.  I have never had a
problem using/installing any software package in the distribution using
yum.  OTOH, I have at times gotten into "dependency hell" when trying to
do the same thing manually with rpm.

HTH
Jeff