How can I install & configure WINE under FC3?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 13:38:29 UTC 2005

Charles Curley wrote:
> You don't, since it requires wine. Instead, create an alias. Something
> like:
>
> alias IE="wine 'c:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE'"
>
> Now you can run Internet Exploder by entering "IE" at the command
> line.

Note that it *is* allegedly possible to get the kernel to recognise that
this file is a Windows executable and pass it over to Wine to run. This
uses the binfmt_misc module, which is in all the FC3 kernels that I
currently have installed.

This seems a good starting point:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/marcelo/linux-2.4/Documentation/binfmt_misc.txt

(I don't think anything has changed here for 2.6).

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | 'Short for "Sic Transit Gloria Humanorum", which is
Exeter    Devon    UK | Latin for "There goes the neighbourhood!"'