Accton EN1203 DEC 21040 based PCI Network card

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 7 14:01:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 08:51 -0500, Peter J. Sarazin wrote:
> I am a complete newbie to linux and fedora, and cannot seem to get any
> network connectivity with my install of Fedora Core 3
>
> I installed Fedura Core 3 in text-only mode with the following
> hardware:
>
> Asus P55T2P4 socket 7 mobo w/ AMD K6-2+ 450Mhz CPU, 128 Meg RAM.
> ATI Rage II mach64 PCI video card
> Accton EN1203 DEC 21040 based PCI network card.
> Western Digital IDE Hard Drive
> ATAPI CD-Rom Drive
>
> The install seemed to go smoothly (perhaps too smoothly), but when it
> was finished I did not seem to have any network connectivity.
>
> I found some online documentation, which says I should have been
> prompted at some point for Network Configuration, but I never saw
> anything like it.  I am assuming that regardless of installing in
> graphical mode or text-mode, I should have seen this screen.
>
> Is it likely that Fedora does not recognize my network card at all?
>
> How can I verify this and/or correct the problem?
>
> Should I just get another network card?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Peter J. Sarazin

Peter,

You can try running the system-settings->network GUI tool and add a new
card.  I noticed that there was a DEC 21xxx, probably the tulip driver.
I've had better luck with the de4x5 driver with this chip.

The config tool should populate the appropriate files and allow you to
activate the interface.  After all is configured, I'd do a service
network restart (as root in a terminal) to activate routing, DNS and
whatever else is needed.

Bob...