samba probs after yum update

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 7 14:57:11 UTC 2005

Greetings;

After asking here how I could update my old firewall box running 7.3 &
a custom kernel,  I installed yum and pointed it at the
download.fedoralegacy.org server and updated a few things, samba
among them, to
samba-common-2.2.12-0.73.3.legacy
samba-2.2.12-0.73.3.legacy

But did not at the time reboot it, I mean samba was working ok, right?

This morning I get a wild hair and decide to update the kernel, so I
did a make oldconfig in the linux-2.4.29 dir, checked the options
with a make xconfig, turning on the unix extensions for samba but
otherwise pretty much like the 2.4.21-rc1-ck6 its been running for
several years.

On reboot to the new kernel, samba is dead, cannot connect, protocol
(big number) not supported by the samba-3.0.7 installed on this box.
However, if I do a service smb restart on the firewall box, its found
that smb wasn't started for some reason, but does run when restarted.
At that point, I can mount the shares from the firewall on this box,
but I still cannot mount this box from there, still getting the
error, repeated for every share.

And to top it off, the kernel thats been running flawlessly for years,
is now flooding all opened consoles, x or virtual, with usb_uhci
error 3, and quoteing a variable 'frame' number.  The only usb device
on that box is the mouse, a logitek optical usb model and its sitting
there with muted led, motionless and basicly minding its own
business.  And of course it works via x or gpm.  Waving it around
does seem to stop the console messages for the duration of the motion
though. I have several kernels available, and rebooting to a 2.4.20-7
seems to stop the usb_uhci messages.

The firewall box has always been the Domain Master, and is still
configured to be.  I've turned the debugging up to 5 but whie it made
the logs quite verbose, no real errors can be seen in them.

How can I restore samba to be fully unilateral?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)