samba probs after yum update

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Feb 7 15:42:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 09:57 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> After asking here how I could update my old firewall box running 7.3 &
> a custom kernel,  I installed yum and pointed it at the
> download.fedoralegacy.org server and updated a few things, samba
> among them, to
> samba-common-2.2.12-0.73.3.legacy
> samba-2.2.12-0.73.3.legacy
>
> But did not at the time reboot it, I mean samba was working ok, right?
>
> This morning I get a wild hair and decide to update the kernel, so I
> did a make oldconfig in the linux-2.4.29 dir, checked the options
> with a make xconfig, turning on the unix extensions for samba but
> otherwise pretty much like the 2.4.21-rc1-ck6 its been running for
> several years.
>
> On reboot to the new kernel, samba is dead, cannot connect, protocol
> (big number) not supported by the samba-3.0.7 installed on this box.
> However, if I do a service smb restart on the firewall box, its found
> that smb wasn't started for some reason, but does run when restarted.
> At that point, I can mount the shares from the firewall on this box,
> but I still cannot mount this box from there, still getting the
> error, repeated for every share.
>
> And to top it off, the kernel thats been running flawlessly for years,
> is now flooding all opened consoles, x or virtual, with usb_uhci
> error 3, and quoteing a variable 'frame' number.  The only usb device
> on that box is the mouse, a logitek optical usb model and its sitting
> there with muted led, motionless and basicly minding its own
> business.  And of course it works via x or gpm.  Waving it around
> does seem to stop the console messages for the duration of the motion
> though. I have several kernels available, and rebooting to a 2.4.20-7
> seems to stop the usb_uhci messages.
>
> The firewall box has always been the Domain Master, and is still
> configured to be.  I've turned the debugging up to 5 but whie it made
> the logs quite verbose, no real errors can be seen in them.
>
> How can I restore samba to be fully unilateral?
----
When you finally got down to a question, it wasn't entirely obvious what
the question was.

Typically, when you get standard error out on consoles, it is because
something is wrong with your syslog configuration and it can't write to
it.

I have to presume that you are aware that it is against all recommended
practices to have your 'firewall' be a server, whether samba, nfs or
other.

I also cannot for the life of me figure out why Gene, who professes to
have never owned a computer running Windows would use a samba server, a
domain master server configuration no less.

Just guessing - as to why samba doesn't load on boot...perhaps there is
more than 1 script in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d where X is the runlevel you are
using.

Do you care to be more specific about what you mean by 'unilateral' in
terms of samba?

Craig