Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 16:58:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 11:46, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 09:16, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>
> > > Who's going to do that extra work looking for questions to answer?  If
> > > a question drops in your mailbox and you happen to know the answer it's
> > > a couple of seconds to solve someone's problem.  Who's going to bounce
> > > though a bunch of web sites for that?
> > >

> > I would *like* to! I've had fun trying to help others and hanging out on
> > this community over the last decade. However, I believe that
> > participating in the same way on a web forum will be impossible for me.
>
> The one thing I could see as an improvement over the current mailing
> list and bugzilla for fedora users would be to add a wiki that would
> be maintained mostly by a team of volunteers who would collate the
> frequently-asked questions on the list into stock answers on the
> wiki.  Then much of the clutter on the mailling list could be avoided
> by searching the wiki first, and if new users don't  recognize the
> symptoms well enough to find the answer themselves, the mailing list
> response would only have to be a pointer to the wiki entry.  Issues
> that are real system bugs should get filed into bugzilla and things
> that are common operator mistakes/misconceptions or that have simple
> workaround solutions could become wiki entries that are easily updated
> as the situations change.

I like that idea.  The wiki would be a way to mine the various solutions
proposed on the mailing list and collect them in a single place that can
be searched.

Then we just need to tie that into an AI script that views new questions
on the list and responds automatically with the answer in the wiki.

Detailed responses based on the wiki could be sent directly to the OP
with a pointer back to the wiki posted on the list.  This way people
that just read the question and wonder what the answer is can find it
and the OP gets detailed help directly.  Such an automated response
would make this very fast getting an answer instead of waiting for
someone to take interest and type a response.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Herth's Law:
	He who turns the other cheek too far gets it in the neck.