Fedora core 3 usr/src

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Feb 7 17:45:16 UTC 2005

BZ Benny wrote:
> I'm particulary looking for Bluez source code. But I
> prefer to have all source code because I want to
> rebuild My kernel.

You don't need all sources (you'd just waste gigabytes and gigabytes of
disk space).  Fedora is not nice and small OS like OpenBSD where
downloading all the sources isn't such a big deal.  Download only
sources that you need.  They are located in SRPMS directory on the main
ftp/http server and mirrors.  SRPM packages always have .src.rpm extension.

To install SRPM package, just do rpm -i name-of.src.rpm.  If you do it
as root, it will install it under /usr/src/redhat, files will be owned
by root, and you'd have to do all compiling as root (unless you change
ownership of files there).

However, my advice is not to do it as root, and create appropriate
directory structure in your home directory instead.  I've attached
.rpmmacros file that I use.  Save it to your home directory and edit to
match your configuration (for example, I've defined my PGP key for
signing packages that I build, and so on).  If you don't want to sign
packages, you'd only need %_topdir line.  If you want to use same
directory names as myself (see included .rpmmacros file), create this
directory structure:

~/rpm/BUILD
~/rpm/RPMS
~/rpm/SOURCES
~/rpm/SPECS
~/rpm/SRPMS

When you do "rpm -i package.src.rpm" as normal user (yourself), it'll
copy files to SOURCES and SPECS directory you just created.  rpmbuld
command will use BUILD directory for compiling, and will search for
sources in SOURCE directroy.  Reseulting SRPM and RPM packages will be
placed in appropriate places under SRPM and RPM/arch (where arch will
probably be one of i386, i586, i686, and noarch when building x86 packages).

> in which repertory is the files '.menuconfig.log'
> because
> i want to use the menuconfig with:
> #make menuconfig

Config files used to build Fedora packaged kernels are stored in
/boot/config-version file.  You can copy it to .config and use it as
base for your custom compiled kernel.