Forcing YUM to install devel packages

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 17:52:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:41:48 -0500, kevin.j.lisciotti at jpmchase.com
<kevin.j.lisciotti at jpmchase.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I currently have an issue with Evolution 2.0.2 where I can't sent mail due
> to some SMTP errors but receive mail just fine. After researching the
> problem, I found that it was fixed in 2.0.3 and higher. I was going to
> manually install the current development version 2.1.4, but after seeing
> the dependencies list I quickly changed my mind.
>
> Is there a way to tell yum to install the development version while
> satisfying the long list of dependencies? As an interim fix I am using
> Kontact from KDE, but would like to return to Evolution.
>
> Thanks for the help!

let me see if I understand correctly. You do want to install the
dependencies, and want to use YUM, but the package you want to install
is not in a YUM repository.

That could be tricky. If it's not a package in a repository, then YUM
probably can't be used to install it. Although, you do have the
ability to create your own repository on the local disk, and tell YUM
to search there for files. You should be able to google to find out
how to do that (I haven't tried).

Otherwise, if you know the list of dependencies that you need, you
could use yum to install them individually.