SATA support?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Feb 7 18:18:29 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 15:36, Robin Laing wrote:
>

>>I did a quick search more to learn about AHCI and the intel site show
>>that special drivers need to be unpacked before installing in
>>unattended mode in Windows.  It probably means that you would have to
>>use a driver disk even in windows.
>>
>>Have you read this.
>>http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
>>
>>I have a SiS based MB and the SATA works like a dream but not as RAID.
>>  After reading I learned that I might as well use the Linux software
>>RAID as it provided more tools.
>

> Thanks for the link above.  There was some good information there but I
> wonder how up to date some of it is?
>
> I started last week searching out parts for a new system.  Have been
> looking at the ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe primarily because it appears that it
> can support 8 SATA hard drives.  I don't plan on using this in a raid
> configuration so that may make this easier.
>
> I've been trying to confirm that FC3 will support non-raid SATA drivers
> using this motherboard which has an Intel ICH6R southbridge and a
> Silicon 3114R SATA controller chips.  The info in the above link
> appeared to reference work done using 2.4 kernels.
>
> Planning on using several Maxtor 300GB SATA drives on this system.
>
> I have already been told that SATA support for DVD or CD rom devices is
> missing or not very good.  So I will opt for an IDE DVD drive of some
> kind.  Still have to research that item.
>
> I am also trying to verify if the Marvell 88E8053 GbE chips are
> supported in FC3.  Will be using that on a 100Mb LAN so I won't get full
> benefit.
>
> I doubt that the built in wireless interface is supported, have not been
> able to determine which chip set they are using for that yet.
>
> Less of an issue is support for the 1394 ports, would be nice to have
> but not needed at this time.
>
> Any pointers or recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a SiS based ASUS board (A7N8X) and I have two SATA drives
running md under FC1.  I have some issues but I don't know where they
are or what they are related to.  My machine will have the display
just freeze and I can only do a hard boot.  :(  I am not going to get
into a huff on this one unless it happens in FC 4 as well.

I have an IDE drive as SATA support was alot worse in 2003 when I
installed FC1.  I noticed that all kernel updates since my initial
install have included support for SiS.  The Lan and Sound are another
story but NVIDIA has drivers on their site.  About 2 minutes to
install the drivers and all is well.  Same with my Video card.

I haven't tried the IEEE interface yet.  Nothing to try it with.  I am
going to borrow a video capture device and give it a try.

I am going to order a 3ware card as I do want faster RAID and at least
RAID 5.

--
Robin Laing