DNS Setup

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 18:35:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 13:00, Frank Stratton - VE3YY wrote:
> I've tried unsuccessfully to set up a DNS server using the GUI (or any other
> method).  I add a domain, a host record, save and restart named and when I
> try to resolve the name it says it can't find it.

In addition to creating the zone files you will need to point your
machine to that DNS server.  You do that in the /etc/named.conf file via
the nameserver statements.

You may also need to look at the /etc/nsswitch.conf file to make sure
dns is listed there for host lookups.  Normally this should list host
dns in that order so you can override DNS via the /etc/hosts file.

The bible for setting up DNS servers is the O'Reilly book DNS and Bind
(isbn 1-56592-010-4).  Highly recommend you get a current copy of this
book.  Mine is from 1993 and is heavily dog eared.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Don't smoke the next cigarette.  Repeat.