Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 18:51:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 13:08, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Eric Vought wrote:
> > How about a first-post response? I have seen this work well with other
> > lists. The first time a new user posts, they get automailed mailed a
> > brief netiquette flyer and a FAQ list. Their post still goes to the
> > list, but, by and large, they will read the FAQ and explore the links
> > while waiting for an answer. One could even get real fancy and do a
> > search against the archives/FAQ for topics related to their post, but
> > that may be overboard.
>
> Sounds like something that we could put together without Red Hat's
> help...
>
> Anyone else think this sounds a good idea?

As long as there is just one auto response generated and not 500.  :)

Of course this means a database of addresses would have to be maintained
to identify first time posters.  Such a database would carry issues
regarding confidentiality and protection.  Would also want to have
effective backup schemes in place so regular users are not bothered by
first time poster messages every few months when the database gets
clobbered.

I still like the idea of trying to provide an answer based on content in
a wiki to the customers question.  Would be automated with key words and
phrases.  That would sent directly to the customer and just send a
pointer to the wiki to the list.

Such a system would handle many of the same questions that come up time
and again.  The end user would get a consistent complete response
instead of having to play 20 questions yet again.  I think that would
greatly reduce volume on the list.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

One can search the brain with a microscope and not find the
mind, and can search the stars with a telescope and not find God.
		-- J. Gustav White