assignment of eth* devices

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 19:37:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:28:47 -0500 (EST), William Hooper
<whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> >> I really think for that example that swapping the cables would be the
> >> easiest solution.
> >>

> > I hope that was meant to be humerous.
> >

> > Swapping cables is one thing, but what about having to go into any of
> > a dozen places in your system and swapping eth0 with eth1?
>
> How would you have a dozen places in your system that need swapped if you
> just installed it?
>
> > Maybe if this was a
> > brand new installation that might work, but not in all cases.
>
> "But when I did the install, they were reversed."

I think you are missing my point. When I installed FC3, I didn't do it
as an upgrade, I built it on a brand new machine. But I have several
scripts and configuration files from a development machine that I
wanted to migrate to it. Files for my iptables, samba, http, ftp,
mailserver, etc. etc. all could have easily been copied over from my
dev machine to production.

Long story short, just swapping the cables may not solve his problem,
and perhaps he needs some help that is more constructive than
facetious.

--

David